Custom light tackle fishing charters
Typically departing from Kaanapali Beach, Mercury specializes in private, custom light tackle fishing charters.
Mercury is a U.S. Coast Guard certified, 31′ Premium Custom Center Console operated by UFO Parasail. She is licensed to carry 6 passengers. Because of her speed, getting to multiple locations is easy. On calm days Mercury is able to shoot across the channel to the pristine waters off the island of Lanai.
- 350hp turbo diesel engine… this boat is fast!
- 360 degrees of walk around deck
- whipping platform
- Simrad Color Recorder/GPS (fish finder)
- 15lb. test bottom fishing gear and tackle
- small Bimini top for shade
- Cooler with water, ice and sport drinks
- Mercury does not have an enclosed head (bathroom) on board. It does carry a portable “emergency” toilet.
While Mercury does offer shared bottom fishing charters, she is best suited for early morning, custom light tackle fishing trips. Serious anglers are encouraged to bring their own gear for some whipping/casting along the coast.
Fish caught will vary from small, bottom fish including wrasses, triggerfish, goat fish and snapper (taape) to larger Hawaiian reef fish like uku (gray snapper), papio, trevally, ulua (GT), jacks, barracuda, and occasionally shark, octopus and even the occasional mahi mahi and ono. The captain will clean and fillet your catch if desired.
15# test bottom fishing gear is provided, as well as a cooler with ice. Guests should bring a towel, hat, sunscreen, polarized sunglasses, camera, light cover up, and any food and beverages you’d like to enjoy during the charter.
*Mercury usually fishes with dead bait like frozen squid, sometimes lures. Live bait opportunities are possible on custom private charters, but only under certain conditions. All activities are at the captain’s discretion and are dependent on current weather conditions.
Private light tackle fishing charters
|3 hour||07:00am||10:00am||$699.00 ($749.10 with tax)|
|4 hour||07:00am||11:00am||$799.00 ($856.26 with tax)|
|5 hour||07:00am||12:00am||$899.00 ($963.43 with tax)|
|6 hour||07:00am||1:00pm||$999.00 ($1070.59 with tax)|
|Departure times may be earlier if live bait opportunities exist. 3 and 4 hour afternoon privates are possible following the morning charters. Departure times vary.|
- Passengers: Max 6
- Dates: Available 7 days per week.
- Typical Departure Time: 7:00am. On occasion the captain will suggest an earlier departure. This is highly recommended!
- Afternoon charters: Departure times may vary depending on length of morning trip.
- Check-in Time: 15 minutes prior to departure
- Check-in Location: Kaanapali Beach, in front of Leilani’s Whaler’s Village. Look for the Green Umbrella!
Minimum age on private charters: 5 years and older to fish. No minimum age to ride.
Shared bottom fishing charters
|trip type||departs||returns||angler rate||rider rate|
|4 hour||07:00am||11:00am||$179.00 ($191.82 w/tax) pp||$59.00 ($63.13 w/tax) pp|
|4 hour PM||departure times vary||$179.00 ($191.82 w/tax) pp||$59.00 ($63.13 w/tax) pp|
|5 hour||07:00am||12:00pm||$199.00 ($213.26 w/tax) pp||$59.00 ($63.13 w/tax) pp|
- Tour Duration: 4 or 5 hours
- Passengers: Max 4 anglers and 2 riders
- Dates: Available 7 days per week
- Departure Times: 7:00am. Afternoon departure times vary.
- Check-in Time: 15 minutes prior to departure at West Maui’s Mala Wharf boat ramp.
- Minimum age on shares: 12 years and older.
- Minimum number of anglers to confirm trip: 3
Great day fishing with Captain Duane
After going last year with a group of friends, I booked the boat myself this year. Rhapsody Lunes from the Marriot hotel joined me to fish and help.
Captain Duane took us about two thirds of the way to Lanai and we began to fish in about 150 feet of water.
From that point on I had a fish on!! Caught several good eating fish like Nabetta and Papio. Hooked two sharks during the day over 5 feet in length which we released. Fished hard right up to 11 am.
Cap Duane was an excellent host and Rhaposdy was a great add on guide since he is the “fish whisperer”! He actually thinks like a fish???.
All said, totally worth the 900 bucks for a great day of fishing off Maui’s coastline!!
I’d urge anyone to try this trip!!
We left in a dingy of the beach in front of whalers village and boarded the Mercury a ways from the beach.
A bit challenging but also very very nice if you’re staying at a Kaanapali beach hotel.
If you’re an avid fisherman and you want to catch fish while in Maui , without enduring the high seas of the sport fishing world, then this trip is for you.
A Great day fishing while on Maui!!!!